Square Mile Health Walks
Square Mile Health Walks is for people aged 50+ living in or near the City of London. It is run by Age Concern City of London and Fusion Leisure.
We are a small, friendly group and are always ready to welcome new walkers and volunteer walk leaders.
We run 4 walks a month:
- a City Gardens walk on the first Saturday of every month, taking in some of the hidden horticultural gems of the City, from churchyards and pocket parks, to the river pathway.
- two History Walks every month, on a Thursday afternoon and a Sunday morning. These are health walks which incorporate interesting facts about the history and heritage of the area we are walking in. The routes vary so please check our current schedule for details: https://squaremilehealthwalks.wordpress.com
- our Barts walk on the last Tuesday of each month starts and finishes at Barts hospital, and is an entry level short walk, especially suitable for those having or recovering from medical treatment.
We are a very friendly, inclusive group and our trained walk leaders will be happy to accommodate you whatever your particular needs. We start promptly, so please come along 10-15 minutes early for your first walk, so that we can register you.
If you would like to be added to our mailing list to receive reminders about the date, time and meeting point of the next walk, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
|Walk name||Route options available||Length (hours)|
|Barts Hospital Walk|
Barts Hospital Walk
|History Health Walk|
- Barts Walk (level 1) - last Tuesday of every month, 11 - 11.30 Meet at the fountain in the courtyard at Barts, EC1A 7BE for a short walk around the fascinating local area.
- City Gardens walk (level 2) - 1st Saturday of every month, 11-12 Meet at St Paul's Station, Panyer Alley EC2V 6AA (outside Cafe Nero) to discover some of the green spaces and hidden gems of the City.
- History Health Walks (level 3) - take place twice monthly on a Thursday 2-4 and Sunday 10-12. These walks incorporate the fascinating history of the City of London and its environs, from Wapping to Clerkenwell, from City alleyways to Wren churches. The emphasis is still on walking for health - we walk for approx 90 minutes - but there are usually two information stops, bringing the total route time to 2 hours. Please consult the current walks programme for details of dates and meeting points: https://squaremilehealthwalks.wordpress.com
Memory Walk. In summer 2015 we ran a walk for older people and carers attending the Memory Group in the City of London.