Health & social care professionals
Walking for Health is England’s largest network of health walk schemes, run by the Ramblers and Macmillan Cancer Support.
Every week we support thousands of people to experience the benefits of getting and staying active, improving their mental and physical wellbeing, and reducing social isolation.
Spending just 60 seconds recommending Walking for Health to your patients will encourage them to increase their levels of physical activity, ultimately saving lives and money, and reducing clinic numbers.
"Walking for Health offers a clear mechanism for primary care and other professionals to refer people to an appropriate led walks programme"
- Public Health England
If you're a health professional keen to get your patients walking, there are a number of ways we can work together.
Whether you’re interested in signposting to an existing walk or setting one up at your practice, we’ll support you to find an approach that works.
Contact us to talk about working together.
We can support you by:
- Introducing you to your local walk scheme
- Supporting the set-up of the walk alongside your local scheme
- Providing bespoke promotional resources and handy signposting materials to encourage your patients to join the walk
- Providing access to training for walk leaders (if setting up your own walk)
- Providing access to our database for monitoring and evaluation (if setting up your own walk)
- Ensuring all walks are covered by our insurance
We're currently working with health professionals to help us test a signposting protocol. You can find more information about the pilot here.
We have compiled an information pack for health and social care professionals, which includes all the essential information about Walking for Health, examples of how you can get involved, an overview of the benefits of walking for your patients and your practice, and case studies of walkers and practice walks.
Please click on 'Information Pack' below to download your copy, or get in touch if you would like to be sent a hard copy.