Sunderland City Councils' Wellness Walking Programme
Sunderland City Councils' Wellness Service currently offers the current Wellness Walking Programmes:
Led Health Walks - Wellness Walking Programme:
Walks are FREE of charge and accredited by the National Walking for Health Programme. Walks last between 30 to 60 minutes and there is no need to book.
The following walks run every week and are one hour long unless otherwise stated:
- Monday, 10.00am, Herrington Country Park (meet at play park car park)
- Tuesday, 1.00pm, Washington Leisure Centre (meet at main reception) * this walk lasts for 30minutes
- Tuesday, 1.00pm, Morrisons Doxford Park (meet at cash point)
- Tuesday, 6.30pm, Seaburn Centre (meet at main reception) * this walk lasts for 90 minutes
- Wednesday, 12.00noon, Mowbray Park (meet at the Walrus) * this walk lasts for 30minutes
- Thursday, 10.30am, Fulwell Community Resource Centre (meet at reception)
- Friday, 10.00am, Washington Arts Centre (meet outside of reception)
- Friday, 6.00pm, Herrington Country Park (meet at play park car park) * this walk lasts for 90 minutes
The walks are a great way to get out in the fresh air, meet new people and improve your mental and physical health and wellbeing. Walks are delivered by friendly, qualified Volunteer Walk Leaders who tailor the walks to be suitable for all ages, fitness levels and abilities. It is advisable to dress for the weather and wear comfortable supportive footwear.
All new walkers are asked to contact Laura Bartlett on 0191 561 4693 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to check the current walking programme and for any further information on walking opportunities in Sunderland.
Other services outside Walking for Health walks include:
Way Marked Walks:
Currently within 10 of the cities parks. Routes are typically 1-3 miles in length, with minimal hills, easy terrain and are suitable for wheelchairs and pushchairs. Map packs of all routes and useful walking tips are available on request and available to download on this site.
Nordic Walks are also FREE of charge. Walking Poles are provided and there is no need to book. Please call for current timetable of walks on T: 0191 561 4693.
Date for the Diary: Sunderland BIG Walk 2015
Further details to follow... or contact 0191 561 4693
Find out moreVisit the scheme's own website
Visit the scheme's Facebook page
Visit the scheme's Twitter page